FC Barcelona is a well-known name for the football fans scattered all over the world. The club has some of the start and most promising players in football world. However, there is more to the club than just the fine skills displayed by its players. Here are some interesting and amusing FC Barcelona facts that are sure to surprise its supporters.
Facts on History of Barcelona: The club was founded by Hans Gamper, a Swiss nationalist with the help of a newspaper advertisement and is now owned and operated solely by the club members. It was never a mere football club but a political symbol as well. The club stood as a symbol against Rivera’s and Franco’s dictatorships and has always had a strong tie with the Catalan nationalism. It was during Franco’s dictatorship, the club was forced to change the name to Club De Football De Barcelona. However, the club changed its name back to this club in the year 1974 because of its Catalan roots. The club was forbidden from using the Catalan Language during the Franco dictatorship. However, over the years, it has become a rule that the players of FC Barcelona will have to know the Catalan language, with some exceptions like Lionel Messi.
Facts on Club’s Achievements: The club has been ranked by Forbes as the second most valuable club in the world and has proved itself to be one of the most popular clubs across Europe. It is also the club with highest number of players winning the Ballon d’Or, with 11 Barcelona players having won it. Lionel Messi, one of the most popular Barca players, has won the Ballon d’Or five times. The club had also defeated its arch rival Real Madrid FC on their first official match with a score of 6-1.
Fun FC Barcelona Facts:
· This club doesn’t run short of fun and amusing facts either. Very few people know that FC Barcelona fans are known as “ass” in the Catalan language.
· Though it is commonly thought that unlike other Barça players, Lionel Messi does not know Catalan language, he was heard addressing the public in this language when he was drunk after a Barça win!
· The Camp Nou stadium is one of the largest stadiums in Europe but the matches there are seldom attended by the local people. This is probably because of the high ticket prices due to its international fame.
· FC Barcelona and Real Madrid have had a long history of political rivalry as well, with the latter being supported by the political power of Franco and the former being against his dictatorship.
· This club has invented its own style of playing which is known as tiki-taka or The Total Football Philosophy. Johan Cruyff is the man behind this famous football playing style and the strategy has brought the club many victories.
· For a long time, FC Barcelona was against corporate advertising but the policy was finally taken down and they collaborated with UNICEF for the first time in 2006.